Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Colder Cold


It has been said, that this winter is becoming a record year for snow fall in the area where I live. Currently, we are expecting even more of the white stuff within the next 24 to 48 hours, while we still have 2 feet of it left on the ground. It seems to me when I was a child, we got much more snow that was even deeper than anything we have experienced recently. In my child's eye, I recollect trudging through avalanches of frozen tundra well above my knees, while collecting slush in my boots, all the way to my school which was seldom ever closed. Since I lived within walking distance, I never had the excuse of the bus not showing up in a reasonable amount of time thus allowing one to return home with a clear conscience. No, indeed, I had to stomp, stomp, stomp, trudge, trudge, trudge all the way to school all bundled up in leggings, parka, scarves, boots, hat and mittens with a runny nose while clutching a sodden lunch bag. Often times, getting there to find teachers were unable to get in, so I was sent back home only to change into dry clothes and be sent outside again to play. I realize in retrospect that the snow may not have been as high as I remembered it to be, just as surely as it was not an up-hill trudge to school in both directions. But one thing I know for sure, now that I've gotten older, is it feels colder to me now than it ever did way back when. Cold is definitely colder than it used to be.

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

You guys are getting tons of snow this year!