Tuesday, June 29, 2010

All's Well That Ends Well





Last week I was given a glimpse of a post apocalyptic scenario when the region where I live lost power for days on end. The condition was caused by a sudden swift but fierce storm with hurricane winds, pelting hail and a torrent of rain. Traffic quickly became grid locked when traffic lights no longer fulfilled their function. Stores and offices closed when it became impossible to conduct business. ATM's and cell phones were incapable of completing transactions. Roads were impassable due to degree of destruction of fallen trees and wires. All this occurred within our microcosmic community where we could not buy food nor gas. It gave me pause to wonder what it would be like if the this were to occur nationwide or even involve the entire world. Now that our power has been restored, I can count my many blessings. I cannot begin to fathom what it would be like to have a tornado or floods encompass my limited world. Earthquakes, tsunamis, plagues and pestilence have occurred elsewhere and I pray I will never witness the death and destruction that such catastrophes cause. This realization makes that paltry blackout so insignificant that I feel foolish I thought it was such a big deal when it happened. Makes one feel humble, doesn't it?

No comments: