Monday, November 10, 2008

No Calling Cards Needed


This morning, I went to the door leading out on to the deck to let the dogs out, as I do every morning. Only, I did not let the dogs out, but instead looked incredulously at the sight which presented itself before my eyes. So unexpected it was, that it took me aback a second before I could identify it as something that shouldn't be there. Something I did not want the dogs to see. Something that I wouldn't expect to see in a fenced in yard. Two alert and wise looking eyes stared in my direction under an impressive six point rack of antlers. A magnificent buck stood guard over an apprehensive doe who coward in some underbrush. I am sure they were as surprised to see me as I was to see them. It was a nice way to start the day to be greeted by a statuesque pair of God's perfect creatures. I fed my dogs and when done eating, left them outside. The deer were gone but the dogs were impressed with the scents they left behind. I hope the deer did not leave behind any calling cards. I've heard deer poop is irresistible to dogs.